Moving to a new place can be so overwhelming. There always seems to be that time when the furniture is moved in, the utilities are hooked up, the address changed and you sit back and go, “OK, I’m here…now what?”
Here are 10 things that will really help you become familiar with your new surroundings if you are moving to an apartment in Blacksburg, VA.
1. Take the 16 Blocks walking tour. It’s a great way to learn about the history of Blacksburg and get some exercise as well.
2. Sign up for the Blacksburg Citizens Institute. Offered once per year, this is a fantastic way to learn all about the various town departments, how the town operates and also the great amenities available.
3. Pick up copies of the Blacksburg and Montgomery County Parks and Rec guides. These can be found at the local libraries, town/county offices as well as the recreation venues themselves. There are many ongoing classes and activities; some of which provide insight into your new area.
4. Sign up for a Virginia Tech campus tour. They’re free and give you a great overview of the campus. While you may not be affiliated with the University, it is an integral part of our community and offers many benefits for town residents.
5. Go get a library card. We have a great library system in Montgomery County. The libraries are modern, spacious and rarely crowded. In addition, they offer e-books and even e-readers for check out.
Blacksburg Farmers Market6. Sign up for Blacksburg Alerts. This is a town-run notification system which keeps you updated on road closures, meetings, construction updates, and inclement weather. You can customize your account to receive only the alerts in which you are interested.
7. Follow DTBlacksburg on Twitter. Every day, they let us know about specials, events and news going on in our town.
8. If you have kids in the Montgomery County School System, sign up for Cafe Prepay, a system which lets you put funds into your students’ school meal account (no more bringing cash to school for lunch!). Also, make sure your school puts you on the email distribution list.
9. Become a supporter of The Lyric theater. For just $30 annually, you and your family can receive a 50% discount on all movie tickets plus advance registration privileges for special events. It’s also tax deductible!
10. Take your time. Things tend to move slower here than in many places. If you expect a fast pace, you will be let down, so just learn to take it easy and enjoy your new surroundings!
On a side note, there is also a group for new residents; the Blacksburg Newcomers Club.